Saturday, August 7, 2010

Inside the Actor's Studio with "Cutler"

Being one of the few actors working in this productuion who is not extensively involved with Theatre at Hamilton College, one can only imagine the difficulty I would find in investing the committment that has been necessary to make the most of this endeavor. However, the importance of this play and performing it on the Fringe stage does not fail to resonate in such a individual's mind.

A brief academic course in acting was just something I desired to add to my workload at the start of my Freshman year, but I have now grown to find both an appreciation and a fondness for Theatre as a rising Junior. As I will be taking advantage of the opportunity of a lifetime by traveling to Scotland to perform "Ma Rainey" once again, the appreciation I have come to gain for becoming involved with acting here at Hamilton is at its peak.

Aside from my personal appreciation also comes the importance one finds within the play. The social and racial commentary August Wilson chose to illustrate throughout "Ma Rainey" is that of something I could possibly never find solely in the classroom. Detailing the events of Reverend Gates and the abuse he had to endure is much different than reading about such an occurrence in one's textbook. While the piece has many moments we may all lightly chuckle over, no one can detract from the somber display of sorrow and hardship when discussing the plight of African-Americans across the United States throughout the 1920s. Such commentary is essential to the impact we as students must make to the diverse culture of our campus's community.

And as we now head out for Edinburgh in a mere matter of hours, I can only think to myself, "Where's my Coke?"

No comments:

Post a Comment